Monday, March 31, 2008

Parenthood

Being a parent is one of my greatest joys in life. It is also extremely exhausting and humbling experience. I have heard it said many times over that "I was a better parent before I had kids!". I can so relate to this quote. It seems I "knew" what I would do in a given situation before I have actually encounter it.

The tender age of two has also brought with it the ills of pinching, biting and hitting. My dear sweet girl has decided to experiment with those ills far too often and I have to admit that it is beginning to wear on my very last nerve. I have heard many solutions to this problem, however I have not been able to solve it on my own.

I have read some of the following:

1. bite/pinch the child back
2. Have them bite some soap
3. Whatever you do don't bite/pinch the child back.
4. Look for the core of the problem and solve it that way.

All I can tell you is that I am exhausted and tired of being pinched/bit at every turn. I do believe that it has something to do with her being on antibiotics and just plain not feeling bad. I am unsure if she is trying to get those molars in (I never know when she is actually teething). It seems as when she is on antibiotics her mood and disposition seems to change. And we are on a longer dose of them.

So in this leg of my journey of parenthood, I am completely exhausted and at my wits end. Unsure of what I should do that would teach my child that biting, pinching and hitting is not what we do.

Sincerely,
Exhausted Parent

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. My daughter was a biter too. It usually stemmed from her wanting attention. I think it is different for every child, but I will tell you what we did.

    When she bit, we made her sit (timeout style) for MORE than the usual amount of time. Then we talked about how it was not nice to do that and that we really like it when she is nice. It took MANY bites, but she stopped.

    We were also told to bite her, and I disagree. I think that only shows them that it is indeed okay to bite.

    Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am with you on biting her back, not sure what it will accomplish. It is truly a battle of the wills right now. I just don't want her to win this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have read most of my blog so you know that I too have struggled endlessly with behavior problems from my children. I know exactly how you feel. You are not alone. Isaac never bit much and Julia hasn't started (hopefully she won't),but I agree with the first comment. I wouldn't bite back. Hang in there. This too shall pass. I will be praying for you....from one exhausted parent to another!!!

    ReplyDelete