Thursday, May 14, 2009

Tour of the Gila

It was almost 2 weeks ago that we headed up to see my mom and see the Tour of the Gila. Let me tell you that we had a blast! I had always wanted my hubby to see the races but due to scheduling conflicts this was the first year that we were able to go. And what a year to go! Lance Armstrong and his team which included Levi Leipheimer (who won the tour) and Floyd Landis. It was a great time had by all!

IMG_9354

So on Saturday we headed out to the downtown area where the races are being held. It is a chance to be up close and personal with the race. Jeff was given the camera and got some amazing shots! Mickey had a fun time cheering for her racers. At one time she is cheering "Go bicycles, Go bicycles!" very loudly and very energetic. There was not an actual race going on at the time. But Lance Armstrong was taking a ride with some other riders up the street where we were at. He went up the street and back down all the while little Mickey is cheering her heart out. I look up and he is looking at her grinning ear to ear and having a bit of a chuckle. I was so involved in the moment that I didn't pick up the camera that was sitting on my lap.


IMG_9353

I also was able to visit with some good friends. One is my friend Rob who I haven't seen in about 8 years. My goodness that is a long time. But considering we have been friends since we were in the 6th grade together and have stayed friends throughout so many years it was like we just saw each other yesterday. The next friend I got to see was Irene. She brought an added excited and energy when watching the race. How can you not enjoy a bike race with a gal that has a more than life size photo of Lance Armstrong in her hands??

IMG_9543

On Sunday we headed up to Pinos Altos to see the end of the race and the reward ceremony! It was fun being at the finish line and watching as Lance came in 2nd for the days race. I had never been to this part of the race before so I had a grand time! Again, Jeff was able to get some great shots. We had fun and I am so glad that we were able to truly enjoy our weekend.


2 comments:

  1. Great pictures!! Who's Janda Photography?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Janda is Jeff and my name put together so it is our little logo for our pictures. We have been using that name for so long that I don't even think about it anymore. ;) I guess it would be a name if I was ever good enough to go into photography!

    ReplyDelete