Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy Anniversary

Today, Jeff and I celebrate our 9th year of marriage.

It is hard to believe at times that I met him 16 1/2 years ago. I was going to Houston to work at the Baptist Mission Centers for the summer. He was already there and working at the mission centers. I was scared out of mind and wondering what in the world I was doing in Houston of all places. I had seen him and talked to him a little throughout the first week. I was so out of my comfort zone.

Then on that Saturday, I think it was, he came up to me and asked me "How old are you?" I said 19. He then said come with me. And out of that brief interaction we became friends. Romantic, huh??

We worked with both college and high school missionaries. He needed someone to go with him but wanted to make sure he asked someone who wasn't in high school. So I was there and I was the one who would go with him that day. Jeff is reading this and probably wondering how I remember such details. I don't know, I just do.

Anyway, so on we went to the pick up and we met a lonely lady who really wanted someone to talk to and we were it. He treated her so kindly and with such warmth. So much so she was ready to marry him off to her daughter. Jeff and I talked about our life on the way to and from her house, which is really how we became friends. We would spend the summer eating lunch or dinner together. We often would find ourselves mentoring the young high school kids. We built a friendship together by ministering with each other.

Then the summer ended.... and we went on our separate ways. I sent him a letter that never got to him and he well, never wrote. Then I returned the following summer much more aware of what I was getting into and was surprised to find my old friend there. Our friendship continued and grew deeper. I was dealing with the death of my grandfather which really disrupted my world. We found ourselves eating dinner with each other and our friendship grew.

Time came to say good-bye again. He volunteered to me to the airport and vowed to write this time. He did. Over the years I would I would get phone calls and letters and again our friendship grew.

I returned to Houston one last time and this time my friend was not there. But he surprised me on several occasions that he would drive up from where he was living at the time to see me. He was coming for different reasons but always made it a point to see me. He wanted to make sure I had a friend there that he introduced me to a friend of his.

Then I left Houston, again. We lost contact. Then out of the blue when I was at Seminary, he wrote me again. This time we had a new invention called email to use. What a lovely thing that was. We would write at least once a day. We would call. In short, our friendship deepened. Then by December we saw each other for the first time in years. Then in March we were engaged and by the next December we were married.

Who marries someone that they never dated??? I guess we do. We had a great friendship that we built and we knew that we loved each other and that we wanted to spend our lives together.

Our married life has continued our friendship. We have had some tough things that we had to walk through and thankfully we chose to walk through them together. Those tough times was not in our own relationship but outside circumstances. That if we had allowed them to could have hurt our relationship. But through our love for each other and because of our faith we have only grown stronger.

We have a beautiful child together and are expecting our second child. One thing that I love about my husband is that he is a wonderful daddy. The next thing that I love is that he is my biggest supporter and willing and wanting to back me up on any of my adventures. I only hope is that I give back to him as much as he has given me.

I am truly a blessed woman to have such a loving, caring man as my best friend and husband.

Love you Jeff

1 comment:

  1. What can I say to that? I'd do it all over again, because I wouldn't choose anyone else but you. You are my best friend, my lifelong companion, the mother of my children, and a mainstay that helps keep me sane in a tough world.
    Your J.A.

    ReplyDelete