Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Resurrection Rolls

On Sunday Mickey and I made Resurrection Rolls. I was looking for a way to show her and teach her about what Easter really is. That it is not about eggs or candy or a bunny. So all week we were reading her Bible and talking about the week that Jesus had. I was amazed at her understanding at the age that she is. I am not sure if she really understands what death really is but I do know that when we got to the part of the cross and death on a cross she was heartbroken. She couldn't believe that people were so mean to a man that she knows Loves her. Our favorite saying this week is "Jesus is Alive!" how sweet those words are and how thankful that I am that this is not just another story but one that is so real and important. I am so thankful that Jesus is Alive and that he has given me life.

So in my search I found two recipes that were just right for us. One we used this year and the other we will wait another year or so. I had never heard of either of them, but I think that they are a great way to show the empty tomb! The one we are waiting on is Resurrection Cookies and the one we used was the Resurrection Rolls. The reason we did not do the cookies is that we wanted to know that Mickey would sleep. The cookies require you to put the cookies in before bedtime and to put tape on a closed oven door and go to bed. I wasn't sure my little one would actually get any sleep and in my life right now we need sleep. ;)

We used the Resurrection Roll recipe and we did this on Easter Sunday.

In this object lesson you are showing how Jesus' body was prepared for burial.

You will need
  • Can of crescent Rolls
  • Large marshmallows
  • Melted Butter
  • Sugar & Cinnamon mixed together
What you do

  1. Open the can of crescent Rolls and separate them into triangles. Explain how this the linen wrapping used to bury the dead.
  2. Dip the marshmallow into the butter (The marshmallow is representing Jesus body). The butter represents the oil that are used to anoint the dead body.
  3. Roll the marshmallow in the sugar & Cinnamon mixture. This represents the spices used in burials.
  4. Place the marshmallow in the middle of the triangle rolls. And wrap up making sure that it is sealed tightly. Put it on a greased cookie sheet.
  5. Place them in the oven, which represents the tomb. Follow the directions on the crescent roll package.
  6. While the rolls are baking we read the Easter story from the Bible.
  7. When the rolls cook the marshmallow melts away and leaves a puffed up roll. This represents Jesus raising from the dead. All that was left was the linen wrapping inside the tomb.


In Sugar

Into the Sugar

Dipping the Marshmellow copy

grave clothes copy


almost finished

Done!

1 comment:

  1. You are totally Pioneer Woman reincarnated with your step-by-step pictures!

    ReplyDelete