Saturday, June 26, 2010

Empanadas

One of my favorite things is my mom's homemade Empanadas. I just love them and they are always a treat. One my mission to learn these recipes and be able to make them for my own children. I asked my mom this week while she was visiting and helping me to show me how to make them. I am so glad that I did. So I thought I would share with you, you know in case you want to venture out and make these for yourselves. =0) Oh and Dave, this post is for you.

You will need 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of baking powder. Now in my mom's words add 2 big spoonfuls of crisco. What is a "big spoonful", the picture below will show you.

IMG_5406

If you are my mom you will mix up those ingredients with your hands. If you are me and your hands are older than you are and have arthritis in them, while I use a pastry cutter. You mix it until the mixture is kind of crumbly. Now get a cup of warm water. You will want to add the water slowly and mix it in until a big ball of dough is formed. I did not use the full cup of water but I can't give you an exact measurement as you will just need to add and see how it feels.

Now for the filling part of the recipe. You are going to want at least 5-8 apples. Not tart apples like you would use for apple pie so go for a Gala apple. (hope that is what they are called) or a red delicious. Peel them and grate them. Once you have that put them in a soup pan and add a little water to it and put it on the stove and turn to medium heat. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste (I think it was about a cup of water to 10 apples). You don't need to cook it long on the stove just enough to get everything to come together about 5-10 minutes (you don't want to make applesauce). It should look like this....

IMG_5408

You could also add some canned pumpkin to the mixture, again just add enough to taste and add some more sugar and cinnamon. The next step is to take a strainer and add your apples to it and strain out the juice. You don't want a wet mixture when you add it to your dough.

IMG_5409

Now take your dough and make a small ball and roll it out and place a spoonful of the filling into it. See below...

IMG_5410

Fold it in half and seal the sides crimping them together.

IMG_5411

IMG_5413

Or you can go to wal-mart and get the nifty little gadget that my mom brought me "empanada maker" that allows you to roll the dough out like you would do for cookies. Then cut it out like you would cut cookies out and then put the dough on the press and add filling and press and it is done. So much easier, but I didn't take pictures of that. This is "old school" like my mom would say.

After you get a cookie sheet full. Brush melted butter (or egg wash) on top and add cinnamon sugar mixture on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown. Then eat and enjoy!

IMG_5416

They make a lot but sure are yummy. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_5422

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment